Friday, March 14, 2008

Top 10 College Women 2007

Melis Anahtar ; Her research will save lives
Melis Anahtar, 20, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
HER GOAL: To be a medical researcher.
HER MOTIVATION: As a 15-year-old intern working closely with doctors at the burn unit of Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston, Anahtar saw terrible suffering but came away inspired. “I’d think, these people would have died 10 years ago, but scientists at this very hospital developed the skin grafts to keep them alive.” Ever since, Anahtar has thrown herself into research that holds the same life-changing potential. She developed a blood-testing device that could give doctors quick, crucial information about how the body is reacting to a burn, and last summer identified a genetic basis for a rare form of albinism through her internship at the National Institutes of Health. Now the MIT mechanical and biomedical engineering major with a perfect GPA is part of a team designing a needle-free injector, an innovation that could make immunizations safer for people around the globe." http://www.glamour.com/news/articles/2007/05/collegewomen?currentPage=6

" My five summers with CTY were a crucial component of both my academic and social development."
-- Melis Anahtar, 2008 Rhodes Scholar and former CTYer (1994 - 2000)

"CTY was much more than a summer camp. The classes provided a degree of challenge and intellectual freedom that I had not experienced in school. I'll never forget my first CTY summer, when I took a Humanities class with Mr. Chapman. Having just finished second grade, I initially found the reading list to be daunting and had difficulty with the first few assignments. But by the end of the three-week session, I had a newfound sense of confidence in my reading and writing abilities, which continued throughout the subsequent school year.
My five summers with CTY were a crucial component of both my academic and social development. On top of being able to explore exciting new topics, like mathematical logic and creative writing, I made long-lasting friendships with like-minded kids. I fondly remember the time we spent on the playground, in the dining hall, and even on the bus. All in all, CTY was a spectacular experience that I am very grateful for."


Melis Anahtar Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyHometown: Bethesda, Md. Age: 21Major: Mechanical engineeringGPA: 4.0 Graduating: June Career goal: Physician-scientist


No comments: